The Ottawa Streetcar Photo Gallery

Special thanks to Edward Smith and Randy Stavenow for identifying many of the locations of the photos shown here.


Ottawa

Here is a car departing McKellar Loop in eastbound service to downtown as another westbound car approaches. Note passenger shelter which is representative of shelters provided along the Britannia private right of way. There were no heating coils installed in any of these shelters to warm passengers waiting in the winter. Photo by P. Lambert, donated by Curt Frey.

Ottawa

Car 800 passes its comrade on Somerset Street West, just west of Preston Street. The cars are on 'A' line service. The area is essentially unchanged today. The Somserset Street Viaduct, at the rear of the shot, crosses the CPR yards at Lebreton Flats. Photo by P. Lambert, donated by Curt Frey.

Ottawa

In April 1959, during the last days of Ottawa's streetcars, Ottawa car 801 trundles on the 'A' line along Charlotte Street, south from Rideau Street. The photo (taken by P. Lambert, donated by Curt Frey) was shot from the northwest corner of Charlotte and Besserer Streets, and is looking north. The area is essentially unchanged. The large red building is Wallis House, originally a hospital, then an Army Recruiting Centre (in the time of this shot), and at present expensive apartments..

Ottawa

Near the Chateau Laurier, cars 801 and 868 pass each other at the end of Rideau Street. The Freeman's Department store is in the background. Photo by P. Lambert, donated by Curt Frey.

Ottawa

This car is operating an afternoon westbound extra service which short-turned at McKellar. Note passengers who have disembarked on platform behind car awaiting arrival of next car operating through to Britannia. Extra service cars operated on all routes and were designated by the letter 'X' with destination shown on route sign often supplemented with a lower window card. Photo by P. Lambert, donated by Curt Frey.

Ottawa

Car 812 turns from Cumberland Street onto Rideau Street in 'A' line service. This photograph was taken from the southeast corner of Rideau and Cumberland. Photo by P. Lambert, donated by Curt Frey.

Ottawa

Car 813 runs southbound on 'S' service, about to turn east onto Laurier Street to head into the Sandy Hill area of the city. The railway tracks into Ottawa's Union Station ran alongside the canal until the 1960s, when the station was relocated into the suburbs. The tracks were removed and Colonel Bye Drive constructed. Photo by P. Lambert, donated by Curt Frey.

Ottawa

Car 814 runs on the 'A' or 'R' line on Preston Street, northbound at Wellington Street. The warehouse was the Transport Building at 817-819 Wellington. Among its tenants were the O'Keefe Brewing Company shipping department and LCBO inspections: hence the postor on the left. The sign on the right belongs to S and S Auto Parts Limited, a wrecking yard, at 814 Wellington. The warehouse backed onto CPR railway spurs and sidings towards the Ottawa River. This is all greenspace now. Photo by P. Lambert, donated by Curt Frey.

Ottawa

Car 606 in the carbarn. Photo by P. Lambert, donated by Curt Frey.

Ottawa

Car 815 runs northbound on Bank Street, past Albert Street, in 'X' Service. 'X' cars were also used to designate special streetcars serving the Central Canada Exhibition or some other event at Lansdowne Park or the Auditorium. The Diamond Bar-B-Q and its neighbours have been replaced by a single large building; the tower and the Odeon marquee down the street are gone as well. Photo by P. Lambert, donated by Curt Frey.

Ottawa

Here's another shot of Car 815, this time outside of Chateau Laurier. Photo by P. Lambert, donated by Curt Frey.

Ottawa

Car 817 turns from northbound Dalhousie Street to eastbound St Patrick Street on 'B' line service. The church in the background is St. Brigid's Roman Catholic at St. Patrick and Cumberland Street. Pharmacie Chartrand is now a vacant lot. Photo by P. Lambert, donated by Curt Frey.

Ottawa

Car 852 enters Confederation Square on 'R' or 'S' line service. This shot was taken on the east side of Elgin Street, at Queen Street. Photo by P. Lambert, donated by Curt Frey.

Ottawa

Car 1002 passes another outside of Ottawa's Union Station. This shot was caught by Joseph Testagrose.

Ottawa

Car 1003 rolls westbound along Ottawa's Sparks Street. Photo by P. Lambert, donated by Curt Frey.

Ottawa

Another shot of car 1003 on Sparks Street. Sparks St. was a one-way street at the time and Bank St. was a two-way street its whole length; the number of streetcars would seem to confirm this location because all routes from Rideau St. traversed Sparks to Bank prior to branching off to their various destinations and the roof of Union Station appears to be visible at the top of the knoll between the buildings. Photo by P. Lambert, donated by Curt Frey.

Ottawa

Ottawa's streetcars had to cope with harsher winters than most, but cope they did, as did their passengers. Photo by P. Lambert, donated by Curt Frey.

About this Page

This page is an article within the Streetcar and LRT division of Transit Toronto articles.

To see more articles within the Streetcar and LRT division, you may return to the Streetcar and LRT division page.

You can also return to the main page for news and other articles in Transit Toronto.