Transit Toronto is sponsored by TransSee.ca bus tracker and next vehicle arrivals. TransSee features include vehicle tracking by route or fleet number, schedule adherence, off route vehicles and more advanced features. Works on all mobile devices and on any browser.
Supports Toronto area agencies TTC, GO trains, MiWay, YRT, HSR and GRT, as well as NY MTA, LA metro, SF MUNI, Boston MBTA, and (new) Barrie.

Pine Hills (1950-1956)

pine-hills-transfer.jpg

A PINE HILLS transfer from August 8, 1954.

Compiled by Pete Coulman

September 5, 1950

Danforth Bus Lines establishes the TORONTO-EGLINTON-MIDLAND bus service running from the end of TTC streetcar service at Danforth and Luttrell, via east on Danforth Avenue, northeast on Danforth Road and looping via Kennedy, Eglinton, Midland and Danforth Road.

This route replaces former SCARBORO JUNCTION and GECO routes as well as part of the EGLINTON route. Service operates 18 hours a day, 7 days a week.

July 1, 1954

Route taken over by TTC. New routing from Luttrell Loop via east on Danforth Ave, northeast on Danforth Road and looping via north on Brimley, west on Eglinton and south on Kennedy to Danforth Road and return. Service provided 18 hours a day, 7 days a week using two buses operated from Woodbine Garage.

PINE HILLS

EGLINTON
LUTTRELL

7 days a week, 18 hours a day

March 13 to 27, 1956

Eastbound service diverted via north on Kennedy and east on St Clair to route due to Malvern Construction Company excavation for sewer installation.

April 14, 1956

Last day of operation. Route replaced the following day by new 43 KENNEDY and 15 BRIMLEY bus routes operating from Luttrell Loop.

43 KENNEDY and 15 BRIMLEY were the first bus routes to receive route numbers and new destination signs since the TTC abandoned bus route numbers in the mid 1920s. The route numbering system established in the 1950s began with buses operating out of Birchmount Garage and continued garage by garage until completed in 1958.


Pine Hills Image Archive