Transit Toronto is sponsored by TransSee.ca bus tracker and next vehicle arrivals. TransSee features include vehicle tracking by route or fleet number, schedule adherence, off route vehicles and more advanced features. Works on all mobile devices and on any browser.
Supports Toronto area agencies TTC, GO trains, MiWay, YRT, HSR and GRT, as well as NY MTA, LA metro, SF MUNI, Boston MBTA, and (new) Barrie.

Parking Area (1946-1952)

Compiled by Peter Coulman
Originally posted by Alan Gryfe

In December 1946, the City of Toronto banned all daytime parking on all main thoroughfares in the downtown area. In conjunction with this, the City asked the Toronto Transportation Commission to install a PARKING AREA bus service looping through the downtown area, serving parking lots south of the railway viaduct located south of Front Street.

parkingarea.gif

December 30, 1946

Service begins, with buses operating around a clockwise loop from Harbour and Bay via north on Bay, east on Temperance, south on Yonge and west on Harbour. Service provided daily (except Sundays and holidays) from 7:30 a.m. until 6:30 p.m.

January 1, 1947

Parking ban comes into effect.

April 1, 1947

Under pressure from downtown merchants, the City of Toronto restores most of the banned parking. Service continues.

July 14, 1947

Service revised to operate from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Mondays through Fridays and from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays. Buses operate every 6 minutes during rush hours and 7 minutes, 30 seconds at other times.

The cost of providing this service is estimated at 21 cents per passenger ($21,400 per year), resulting in an operating loss of $16 cents per passenger. Over the next five years, the TTC considers the following statistics.

Year

Miles operated

Passengers Carried

Revenue per mile (cents)

parkareagraph.gif

1947

53,333

105,685

9.91

1948

35,877

104,676

14.59

1949

35,808

119,779

16.73

1950

35,747

102,818

14.41

1951

35,935

100,503

13.98

The TTC estimated that, if the decline in ridership continued, the annual deficit for the route in 1952 would be $17,000.

May 31, 1952

Last day of operation.


Parking Area Image Archive