Transit Toronto is sponsored by TransSee.ca bus tracker and next vehicle arrivals. TransSee features include vehicle tracking by route or fleet number, schedule adherence, off route vehicles and more advanced features. Works on all mobile devices and on any browser.
Supports Toronto area agencies TTC, GO trains, MiWay, YRT, HSR and GRT, as well as NY MTA, LA metro, SF MUNI, Boston MBTA, and (new) Barrie.

Beach Coach (1947-1952)

Compiled by Pete Coulman
Originally published by Alan Gryfe

Map of the Beach Coach Line

The “Coach” services were special premium routes operated by the Toronto Transportation Commission starting in 1925 with the inauguration of the HILL COACH. The idea was to offer express service between far-flung suburbs and the downtown. Typically, “Gray Coach” buses were used, with extra comfortable seats offering a premium ride.

October 15, 1947

Service begins on a new premium-fare coach route running from Lombard (today known as Adelaide Street East) and Victoria in Downtown Toronto via north on Victoria, east on Richmond, south on Jarvis, east on King, south on Trinity, east on Eastern Avenue and east on Queen Street into the Beach area. Buses loop via north on Kingswood, west on Kingston Road, south on Glen Manor, Beafort, Southwood, Williamson and Lee to Queen. Service provided Mondays through Saturdays during rush hours and throughout the midday.

February 1, 1951

Downtown, buses loop from King Street via north on Jarvis and west on Lombard to Victoria.

December 15, 1951

A new bus terminal serving the TTC coaches is opened at the corner of Lombard and Victoria.

March 24, 1952

All service outside of rush hour discontinued.

October 17, 1952

Last day of operation. All service discontinued due to low ridership. However, 39 years later, service would begin on the premium fare 143 DOWNTOWN EXPRESS VIA QUEEN EAST operating over much the same route as the BEACH COACH.


Beach Coach Image Archive