Text by Godfrey Mallion, with additional information by Robert Lubinski.
Davenport Garage was built in 1925 as the Main Garage for all gasoline-powered TTC, and later, Gray Coach vehicles. It was located immediately north of the TTC's Hillcrest Complex, where the system's main maintenance and repairs took place.
As originally built Davenport Garage had two 10,000 gallon underground gasoline storage tanks. Gasoline was distributed to all other garages from Davenport.
The lower level of this two-story facility was used as a repair shop, with 10 repair pits in constant use. A "free stores" area for parts and materials for bus maintenance was also located on the lower level. The upper level was the divisional operating garage, equipped with 4 inspection pits and a wash rack.
The "ball yard" area at Hillcrest was used for bus parking for Davenport. This is visible in pictures from the 1970s and 1980s, where it was used to store many PCCs before they were scrapped. Prior to using the open "ball yard" area, most bus parking at Davenport was along the garage building and around the west side of the Harvey Shops building.
The 4 solid-tired bus fleet of 1921 grew to ninety city buses (red paint) and coaches (gray paint) by 1927.
Davenport commenced operations with the premium-fare HILL coach route on September 14, 1925.
In 1992, near the end of service Davenport Garage operated NFIL D40-88, OBI ORION V, GMC T6H-5307N, and D-901 city buses. The garage fleet had grown to 157 buses.
Davenport operated the 7 BATHURST, 19 CHURCH, 33 FOREST HILL, 65 PARLIAMENT, 75 SHERBOURNE, 77 SPADINA, 82 ROSEDALE, 88 SOUTH LEASIDE, 90 VAUGHAN, 94 WELLESLEY, 100 FLEMINGDON PARK, 121 FRONT-ESPLANADE, 126 CHRISTIE, and 127 DAVENPORT bus routes. On January 4, 1993 Davenport Garage closed.
Davenport Garage Image Archive
- Boutilier, Robert, Bus Maintenance and Shops - 1999 Insider's Guide
- Kay, Jeffrey (ed.), "Bus and Route Allocations" Transfer Points, July 1992, December 1992 and Feb/Mar 1993, Toronto.
- TTC Route Histories, City of Toronto Archives, Toronto.
- The Coupler, TTC Employee Magazine, July 1927 and June 1931