This weekend, TTC track crews are replacing worn rails at the westbound streetcar stop on Queen Street West at Palmerston Avenue — two blocks west of Bathurst Street.
From 6 p.m., Friday, April 21 until 5 a.m. Monday, April 24, the TTC is detouring streetcars operating along these routes around the work zone:
Shuttle buses replace the cars between Shaw Street and Spadina Avenue. (These buses operate independently from the shuttle buses that the TTC is already operating to replace the cars west of Roncesvalles Avenue during long-term construction on Lake Shore Boulevard West, through Humber Loop and on The Queensway.)
Crews return to the the same intersection next weekend to replace worn rails on the south side of the street at the eastbound stop on Queen West at Tecumseth Street.
Close-up view of 501L Queen and 501M Queen shuttle-bus routing between Windermere Avenue and Park Lawn Road:
To decrease disrupting traffic and nearby residents during projects to repair or replace streetcar tracks, the TTC recently bought a concrete milling machine. The machine speeds the work, reduces the amount of digging by backhoes and reduces noise levels. However, effectively installing the new rail still requires overnight work, including concrete-chipping.
Crews occupy the track area on Queen Street West, restricting traffic to the curb lanes through the work zone.
During this project, crews are:
- removing old concrete to expose the old rail;
- replacing the rail; and
- placing new concrete.
They’re working “around-the-clock” — 24 hours a day — to make sure regular streetcar service can resume through the area Monday morning.
- Friday, April 21, 6 p.m.: The TTC diverts the cars and the track crew start using the milling machine to remove most of the concrete in the track area. Then, they’ll chip the rest of the concrete to completely expose the rails. The crews also weld new strings of rail in the track allowance, which they’ll store on the tracks until they’re ready to install them. They’ll continue working into Saturday morning.
- Saturday, April 22: Crews replace old rail with the new rail. They’ll also cut, weld and grind the rails.
- Sunday, April 23: Crews place concrete in the track area and set it to cure. The new concrete cures until about 5 a.m. Monday, April 24, when the crews remove the work zone so that streetcars and regular traffic can resume over the track area.
From 6 p.m. Friday, April 21 until 5 a.m. Monday, April 24, eastbound cars operate along their regular routes to Queen Street West and Shaw Street, then detour:
southward along Shaw;
eastward along King Street West; and then
northward along Spadina Avenue to Queen West,
resuming their regular route eastward along Queen.
Eastbound cars skip their regular stops
- on Queen Street West at Strachan Avenue, Niagara, Tecumseth and Bathurst Streets and Augusta and Spadina Avenues.
Instead, eastbound cars drop off or pick up passengers at stops
- on Shaw Street at Adelaide and King Streets West,
- on King Street West at Strachan Avenue, Niagara, Tecumseth and Bathurst Streets, across from Brant Street and at Spadina Avenue,
- on Spadina Avenue north of King Street West and at Richmond Street West.
301B / 501B Queen shuttle buses replace the cars, operating between Dufferin Street and University Avenue. Eastbound streetcar passengers may transfer to eastbound buses at stops on Queen Street West between Dufferin and Shaw Streets.
Westbound cars reverse the eastbound detour routing.
Westbound cars skip their regular stops
- on Queen Street West at Augusta Avenue, Bathurst Street, Palmerston Avenue and Claremont Street, across from Strachan Avenue and at Shaw Street.
Instead, westbound cars drop off or pick up passengers at stops
- on Spadina Avenue south of Queen Street West and at King Street West,
- on King Street West west of Brant Street and at Portland, Bathurst, Tecumseth and Niagara Streets and at Strachan Avenue and
- on Shaw Street at Adelaide and Queen Streets West.
301B / 501B Queen shuttle buses replace the cars, operating between University Avenue and Dufferin Street. Westbound streetcar passengers may transfer to westbound buses at stops on Queen Street West between University and Spadina Avenues.
From 6 p.m. Friday, April 21 until 5 a.m. Monday, April 24, buses replace streetcars operating along the 301 Queen overnight and 501 Queen routes between Shaw Street and Spadina Avenue. Buses drop off or pick up passengers beside the curb.
Eastbound buses start their trips at Gladstone Avenue north of Queen Street West, then proceed:
eastward along Queen West to University Avenue,
ending their trips.
Eastbound buses drop off or pick up passengers at stops
- on Queen Street West across from Gladstone Avenue, at Abell Street, Dovercourt Road, Lower Ossington Avenue, Shaw Street, Strachan Avenue, Niagara, Tecumseth and Bathurst Streets, Augusta and Spadina Avenues, Peter and John Streets and University Avenue.
Eastbound bus passengers may transfer to eastbound streetcars at stops on Queen Street West between Spadina and University Avenues.
Westbound buses start their trips on Queen Street West at University Avenue, then proceed:
westward along Queen West to Dufferin Street,
ending their trips.
(The buses likely loop:
(northward along Dufferin;
(eastward along Peel Avenue; and then
(southward along Gladstone Avenue to Queen.)
Westbound buses drop off or pick up passengers at stops
- on Queen Street West at Spadina and Augusta Avenues, Bathurst Street, Palmerston Avenue and Claremont Street, across from Strachan Avenue and at Shaw Street.
Westbound bus passengers may transfer to westbound streetcars at stops on Queen Street West between Shaw and Dufferin Streets. Westbound bus passengers traveling west of Roncesvalles Avenue may transfer to westbound 301L / 501L Queen shuttle buses at Queen Street West and Dufferin Street.