Update — Wednesday, April 5, 2017, 8:58 p.m.: MiWay and its partners are extending the program to Saturday, September 30.
Update — Monday, February 20, 2017, 11:02 p.m.: MiWay and its partners are extending the program to Friday, March 31.
Update — Friday, August 26, 3:47 p.m.: MiWay and its partners are extending the deadline to apply to Monday, October 31.
The program provides low-income residents living in Mississauga with access to affordable public transit. It subsidizes the cost of adult and senior monthly passes by 50 per cent for Mississauga residents that fall within the low-income measure thresholds, according to household income. The Region of Halton has a similar program, SPLIT — Subsidized Passes for Low-Income Transit, in effect for Burlington Transit, Milton Transit and Oakville Transit passengers.
The pilot is in effect from Wednesday, June 1 until
Tuesday, February 28 Friday, March 31, 2017. Starting Wednesday, May 11, the program partners accept applications on a “first-come, first-serve” basis until Wednesday, August 31 Monday, October 31, or until they receive a total of 2,500 participants. The monthly pass provides participants with unlimited travel on MiWay across Mississauga.
To apply, fill out an application form, and provide:
- proof of Income: Page 1 and 2 of your 2014/2015 Canada Revenue Agency notice of assessment. (Please make sure it shows net household / family income.)
- proof of address (with any of these documents):
- a valid Ontario driver’s license;
- a valid Ontario photo card;
- a property tax bill;
- an insurance policy;
- a mortgage, rental or lease agreement;
- Canada Child Tax Benefit notice;
- a Guaranteed Income Supplement notice;
- a Goods and Services / Harmonized Sales Tax Credit notice; or
- an Ontario Child Care Supplement for Working Families Entitlement notice.
Submit the form and supporting documents:
Complete the application form and submit with supporting documents:
- In- person to a MiWay ticket office in City Centre Terminal or at Islington Station;
- Fax to: 905-450-5757, Attention: MiWay Affordable Transit Pilot Program; or
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Staff will review all applications and will contact you by telephone or e-mail to confirm your participation within about three to five business days.
Once staff have confirmed your participation, you can pick up your PRESTO card in person from staff. Staff will advise of pick-up times and locations. While picking up your PRESTO card you must register the PRESTO card and complete a pre-assessment. After you have received your PRESTO card you can then buy the monthly PRESTO pass at the special rate for you.
You can load the monthly pass on to the PRESTO card in-person at a MiWay kiosk, or on-line. You can buy the pass 14 days before the first of the month. If you already have a PRESTO card, staff will provide you with a new one that has a special discount for this program.
The pass only works on MiWay. You will have to pay full fare on nearby transit systems.
MiWay transit is piloting this program to further understand the transit needs of low income individuals. Throughout the program, staff will ask you for your feedback through focus groups and a short monthly survey.
Here’s how Statistics Canada defines low-income measure thresholds by household income after tax (statistics from the 2011-2012 census year):
Single person: Annual income of $19,930.
Two people: $28,185.28.
Three people: $34,519.77.
Four people: $39,860.00.
Five people: $44,564.83.
Six people: $48,818.33.
Seven or more people: $52,729.82.