This artist’s concept shows a future view of the rapidway looking east along Davis Drive at Main Street. The Union Hotel sits on its new site to the left of the image.
Starting today, Wednesday, April 24, to allow contractors to widen Davis Drive for the rapidway, crews will move the Union Hotel, on the northeast corner of Davis Drive and Main Street North from its current location to preserve its reflection of Newmarket’s rich history.
They’ll be work from 7 a.m. until 6 p.m. each day in two stages to lift the Union Hotel and its neighbouring building and set them back from the road on the property.
- Crews start demolishing the “non-historic” building components [for example, the addition at the back of the buildings and the connection between the buildings].
- They’ll dig out around the buildings and lift them off their foundations.
- They’ll place them on steel girders and move them to a temporary site at the back of the property.
- They’ll remove and backfill the old basements and foundations.
- Crews build new foundations
- They’ll move the buildings onto their new foundations
- They’ll restore the property.
Expect short-term dust, noise and vibrations during the work. Heavy trucks will be in the area at all times.
Work continues for about six months, or until October 25.