This week, the contractors start working on three more parts of the project.
First, crews are removing road medians along Davis Drive at three intersections, one block at a time. Once they’ve removed the structures, they’ll pave the areas and paint road lines. This work prepares for reducing and shifting traffic lanes in the near future so crews will have room to begin several more parts of the rapidway construction project later this year.
They’re removing medians at these intersections:
- Monday, March 25 and Tuesday, March 26 from 7 a.m. until 5 p.m. each day: Yonge Street and Davis Drive.
- Tuesday, March 26 from noon until 5 p.m.: George Street and Davis Drive (entrance to the York Town Square Plaza).
- Monday, April 1 and Tuesday, April 2 from 7 a.m. until 5 p.m. each day: Barbara Road and Davis Drive (entrance to the Newmarket Plaza).
During this work, they’ll temporarily close one lane on each side of the median (one lane in each direction), slightly delaying traffic.
Second, as crews get ready to build new retaining walls near 251-259 Davis Drive and realign Parkside Drive, they’ll be temporarily closing temporary lanes closures in two areas, while they remove trees.
They’ll be working in two areas from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. each day from Tuesday, March 26 until Thursday, March 28:
- They’ll close the northbound curb lane on Parkside Drive just south of Davis, while maintaining two-way traffic.
- They’ll close the westbound curb lane on Davis Drive between just west of Hill Street and just east of Longford Drive, reducing westbound traffic to one lane.
Once contractors have completed the project, Davis Drive will include attractive landscaping with nearly 27 percent more trees than they originally removed to build the rapidway.
Third, workers will temporarily close two westbound traffic lanes on Davis Drive and a temporarily close Vincent Street as some crews deliver new concrete hydro poles and other crews install them on Davis Drive from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. each day Tuesday, March 26 and Wednesday, March 27.
- Tuesday, March 26: They’ll close Vincent Street from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. between Davis Drive and Amelia Street.
- Tuesday, March 26: They’ll reduce Davis Drive to one lane in each direction between east of Vincent Street and just west of Hill Street.
- Wednesday, March 27: They’ll reduce Davis Drive to one lane in each direction between east of Lorne Avenue and west of Hill Street.
The work will slightly delay traffic since workers are reducing traffic lanes.
York Region Transit will temporarily relocate bus stops on Davis Drive bus within the work areas to accommodate the crews. Contractors will temporarily close sidewalks on the north side of Davis. Directional signs will guide passengers and pedestrians to the nearest available bus stop or sidewalk.
The contractors will also maintain access to driveways.
Even if bus stops are open, GO Transit passengers riding express buses operating along the 65 Newmarket / Toronto route and YRT passengers riding buses operating along the 44 Woodspring - Bristol, 50 Queensway, 55 / 55B Davis Drive, 58 Leslie via Mount Albert and 520 / 521 Newmarket community bus should expect delays.