The City of Toronto is closing
- the Frederick G. Gardiner Expressway in both directions between Carlaw Avenue and the Humber River
from Saturday, September 15 at 2 a.m. until Monday, September 17 at 5 a.m. for road work.
While the Gardiner is closed, City workers will repair the expressway’s deck. They’ll also:
- clean 800 catchbasins to make sure they drain properly;
- install pavement markings on about 1,100 square metres (11,840 square feet) of pavement;
- maintain five static signs;
- maintain the closed-circuit television system, including six traffic cameras;
- inspect 19 overhead signs;
- repair RESCU (traffic management system) vehicle detectors at four locations;
- repair about 700 metres (2100 feet) of guard rails;
- sweeping and remove litter;
- investigate the future site for two “variable-messages” signs;
- inspect the structure at eight locations along the raised parts of the expressway;
- rehabilitate the structure between York and Jarvis Streets; and
- replace nine light poles.
Closing the Gardiner affects buses operating along these GO Transit routes to and from the Union Station GO Bus Terminal: 16 Hamilton / Toronto express, 18B / 18C / 18D / 18F / 18G / 18H Lakeshore West early-morning / late-night, 21A / 21B / 21P Milton / Toronto, 31 / 31A / 31E / 31F / 31L Guelph / Georgetown / Toronto, 65A Newmarket / Toronto, 71 / 71C Stouffville / Toronto and 90B / 90C Lakeshore East early-morning / late-night.
GO is likely detouring the buses along Lake Shore Boulevard, instead of the Gardiner but the buses serve all regular stops. However, GO Transit Control monitors road conditions and may direct bus drivers to detour along other streets, depending on traffic flow.
Motorists that would usually drive along the Gardiner will seek alternate routes on nearby parallel streets, increasing traffic volumes along Lake Shore Boulevard, The Queensway, King and Queen Streets, among others.
The extra traffic may delay TTC service along these routes: 6 Bay, 15 Evans, 29 Dufferin, 47 Lansdowne, 63 Ossington, 65 Parliament, 66 Prince Edward, 72 Pape, 75 Sherbourne, 76 Royal York South, 80 Queensway, 110 Islington South, 123 Shorncliffe, 501 Queen, 504 King, 505 Dundas, 509 Harbourfront, 510 Spadina and 511 Bathurst.