Now that the brief era of free transit fares is coming to an end, York Region Transit is organizing more PRESTO card events. YRT / Viva representatives will visit terminals, malls and other key destination points to distribute PRESTO cards, waive the usual PRESTO issuing fee and provide on-the-spot PRESTO-card customer support.
At these events, YRT / Viva representatives will:
- educate riders on how to use the PRESTO smart card;
- show riders how to use the PRESTO website and register their card using on-site laptops;
- help clear a negative balance and unblock PRESTO cards;
- help add money to PRESTO e-purses (The e-purse is the total value of money that you’ve added to your PRESTO account. The PRESTO system deducts the cost of each fare from your e-purse every time you use your PRESTO card.);
- change a card that charges adult fares to one that charges senior, student or child fares; and
- answer general PRESTO questions
Get your PRESTO card from 1 until 6 p.m. Thursday, March 22 and Friday, March 23 at Richmond Hill Centre Terminal.
YRT / Viva staff are distributing $25 “pre-loaded” PRESTO cards, meaning that the card includes the $6 card-issuance fee and value of $19 in the “e-purse. PRESTO will waive the $6 issuance fee for YRT / Viva passengers who buy and register their PRESTO card on the spot. Passengers who do not wish to register must pay the full card value of $25.
You can also buy and register PRESTO cards at the YRT / Viva head office, 50 High Tech Road, Fifth floor, Richmond Hill.
You can still ride the buses free of fare until Saturday, March 31. York Region has offered the free rides since Saturday, February 4, to reward riders for their patience during the long strike that prevented YRT and Viva from operating buses along many routes from October until February.