Update — Thursday, April 5, 11:22 a.m.: The TTC reopened the washrooms at Kennedy Station earlier than it planned, Wednesday, April 4, instead of Good Friday, April 6.
Update — Friday, March 23, 9:26 a.m.: The TTC plans to close the washrooms at Wilson Station from Sunday, March 25 until Friday, May 11 and not Sunday, April 8 until Friday, May 18, as it previously announced.
Update — Friday, March 10, 6:07 p.m.: The TTC plans to reopen the washrooms at Kipling Station Monday, March 12 and not Friday, March 16, as it previously announced.
The TTC is in the process of revamping all public washrooms in its stations so that the facilities are modern, efficient and clean — instead of the smelly, dank, dreary caverns that most of them have been for many years.
The bad news is that each washroom will be closed for about six weeks, while contractors tear them completely apart and install new tiling, sinks, toilets, hand driers and other amenities.
He interviewed the TTC’s Chief Information Officer, Chris Upfold, who told Lakey that the work at each station is extensive. He explained that the floors are 30 years old and have an aroma that can’t be scrubbed away, while the toilets and urinals are also outdated and much harder to clean than modern fixtures.
Lakey writes that the new washrooms “‘will be cleaned every 90 minutes so we can maintain them in this good state,’ Upfold said, adding that some janitors from TTC offices will be redeployed to keep up with the new cleaning regimen.”
Last year, the TTC upgraded the washrooms at Eglinton Station.
The current renovation program started at Finch Station, which the TTC closed in December and reopened in early February.
Currently, work is proceeding at Kipling Station. The TTC closed the washrooms there Monday, January 16 and expects to reopen them Monday, March 12.
- Bloor - Yonge Station. Closes: Monday, February 27. Reopens: Friday, March 30.
- Don Mills Station. Closes: Monday, March 26. Reopens: Friday, May 18.
- Downsview Station. Closes: Friday, May 11. Reopens: Friday, June 29.
- Kennedy Station. Closes: Tuesday, February 21. Reopens: Friday, April 6.
- Sheppard - Yonge Station. Closes: Monday, May 28. Reopens: Friday, June 8.
- Warden Station. Closes: Monday, April 30. Reopens: Friday, June 15.
- Wilson Station. Closes: Sunday, March 25. Reopens: Friday, May 11.