Update — Monday, January 19, 2012, 11:46 a.m.: Construction on both phases of the project has ended and DRT and GO buses resumed their regular routes, starting Monday, January 3.
The Town of Ajax is closing
- Fairall Street from west of Dowty Road to Dowty Road and
- Dowty Road between Station Street and Thompson Road
for six weeks, starting Monday, October 17. Closing the road and intersection allows Town contractors to install new water-mains and relocate utilities and traffic islands as part of a project to realign and connect Station and Fairall Streets.
The work removes the jog at Fairall Street / Dowty Road and Station Street / Dowty Road, providing smoother traffic flow between Harwood Avenue South and Ajax GO station.
Starting Monday, October 17, westbound buses operate along their regular route to Hunt Street and Commercial Avenue, then detour:
southward along Commercial;
westward along Bayly Street West; and then
northward along Westney Road South to Fairall Street,
resuming their regular route westward into Ajax GO Station bus terminal.
Westbound buses skip their regular stops
- on Hunt Street at Mills Street and Dowty Road,
- on Fairall Street west of Dowty Road, across from McMaster Avenue and at Westney Road South.
Eastbound buses reverse the detour routing.
Eastbound buses skip their regular stops
- on Fairall Street east of McMaster Avenue and at Dowty Road; and
- on Hunt Street east of Monarch Avenue.
GO Transit also started detoured buses operating along the 94 Oshawa - Yorkdale via Hwy 2 route Monday, May 3. However, GO continues to detour the buses along Bayly Street West. When the Town finishes this phase of the project, GO may again route the buses along Fairall Street.